Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Lesson Not Yet Learned

Geez I feel really stupid. Yesterday I wrote about learning to accept people's help. This morning I was in a situation that really did need assistance and I STILL turned it down. Bruce and the kids had gone to my youngest son, Samuel's, gymnastics meet in Georgia last night. I woke up later than usual this morning and was sitting down watching the dog training video. My blood sugar dropped so low that I became very disoriented. When this happens, my brain knows that I need to get sugar but the ability to actually do it is greatly impaired. My vision gets pretty disjointed and it sort of morphs things. I managed to stumble to the refrigerator but couldn't recognize what it was I needed to eat. There was an Arby's bag with half of sub in it and the Arby's hat finally registered in my incoherent mind (I'm thinking Arby's commercial brings new meaning to me now). I grabbed the bag and stumbled to the table and ate what was left of the sub. Still being confused I went back to the refrigerator and tried to find something with sugar. The bottle of Hershey's syrup caught my eye and I was relieved to see we had milk so I emptied what was left of the syrup into a glass of milk. Let me say that I have never truly liked chocolate milk but at this point it wasn't a matter of what I liked or didn't. The phone rang and I answered it. It was my friend who owns Butterbean who was to come for a visit later today calling to say she wasn't feeling well. She picked up immediately that something was terribly wrong with me and offered to come over. I of course refused her help. She questioned me about what was going on and I tried to tell her as best as I could in my condition but I reassured her I was getting better and drinking chocolate milk as we spoke. She told me she was either going to come over or call 911. Well the threat of the 911 call caused me to drink the milk faster but I still didn't want her to come over and help. She told me to hang up the phone, continue eating and call her back in 20 minutes and if I didn't, the ambulance would be called. Threat of an ambulance cut through the fog in my mind and helped to bring me around even more. I called her back to make sure she didn't call 911 and she said that I sounded better but I was still slurring my speech. Why didn't I accept her help of coming over? We kept talking and apparently as we talked she could tell I was improving. At one point she offered to have food sent over and of course I refused again (When am I gonna learn?!?) After one of these insulin shock episodes, 2 things happen. One is that during it the sweat that pours off me literally soaks my clothes and I start shiverring because my body temp has also dropped low. That is part of the body's reaction to shock. The other thing that happens is that I get very sleepy. So my wise friend says "I've been craving Steak Out when do you want it delivered now or later after you've taken a nap?" The issue of not accepting help was hitting me at that moment and I finally agreed to her help. She told me to take a nap and she would order Steak Out for both of us when I woke up. Thank God for people like her who care enough not to take no for an answer and are more stubborn than myself.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

I think accepting help will be hard for me too. Am I correct in assuming that the diabetes caused your kidneys to fail?