Sunday, January 6, 2008

4 years and counting

I never thought in a million years that I would join the world of bloggers but here I am. This will be about the journey to receiving a transplanted kidney. I've been on the waiting list now for 4+ years and have been able to dodge the dialysis bullet. As it stands now, Friday will be surgery to install a catheter for home dialysis. My prayer is that a call will come before then that a match has been made. July 25 I received a call saying they may have a kidney for me but after all the extensived testing they did, it was determined that neither kidney was viable for transplantation. My husband and I drove home thinking the next call would come in the next few weeks. Well the weeks stretched into months and finally in December I got another call. The organ center asks you questions like how tall are you, what do you weigh, have you been on any antibiotics in the last month. This time instead of giving me the go ahead to make the drive to the hospital, I was told that the surgeon needed to be consulted and that I would receive a call back. Sure enough, 15 minutes later the call came in saying I was not eligible for this kidney due to the surgeon's guidelines. I had never been informed that this could be a possibility so I was totally dumbstruck at this piece of news. Long story short, I didn't receive that kidney either. Now dialysis is looming on the horizon and somehow that process is scarier to me than the thought of the transplant. Don't get me wrong, I feel very blessed to have gone this long without dialysis. 22 years ago I was told I would need a transplant within 5 years. The Lord has carried me through many things over these years. Two adoptions of newborns who happened to be related, breast cancer scares, being bound to a wheelchair for 5 months, cataract surgeries just to name a few. I know He is still with me and will see me through this. I'd love to hear from anyone who is or has gone through a transplant.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

Pam...the thought of dialysis scares me worse than transplant too. I have been told I will need a transplant in less than 2 years. My numbers have been holding steady the past 4 months. GFR of 17.