Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Weekly Visit

Today was my weekly trip to the Dialysis Center. I went by myself to see how I would do with the drive and everything. Walking into the back was the easiest it's ever been and I actually met a couple more nurses who welcomed me with hugs. I just love hugs! So much can be communicated in that simple act of hugging. The bandaging proved more complicated in getting off this week because the surgeon had used a loose weave gauze pad and I'm still having some bleeding around the exit site as they call it. They sent me home with instructions on how to now change my bandage everyday instead of letting them do it. My head still spins when the bandage is removed and I'm confronted with the sight. The same thing happens when the news show does a segment on flu shots and they show people getting injections. I can't look at needles. Even my insulin needles I came up with a way to have my thumb obstruct my view of where I was giving my injection. Looks like I'm gonna have to come up with some creative ways of changing the bandages. I did OK on the drive until about 25 minutes from home when exhaustion really took over. My kids and husband had eaten lunch so I was undecided about whether I should stop and get something. The problem is that I hate making left turns on major roads and most of the fast food places would have me do that to get back to the Interstate so I kept on. We had recently been to Rosie's and I had brought home a Beef Chimichanga and I kept thinking about how good that would taste in the hopes of getting me home safely. I did make it home safely but my husband had taken MY chimichanga to work for lunch yesterday! Oh well the thought of it still helped me LOL. Training will begin February 11 and I'll be down there everyday for a week. What I didn't realize is that my "Clean Room" has to be now and not when I dialyise. My bandage changing is to be done ONLY in the clean room and after I wash my hands in a ritualistic fashion, completed by the wearing of rubber gloves and a surgical mask. I think our upstairs guest bathroom will work the best. The dogs aren't allowed upstairs and there is a separate heating/ac unit for that part of the house. I just need to turn off the system while I'm changing or doing the dialysis so that no forced air is pushed into the room. For those who don't know me, I sorta fly by the seat of my pants and am not diciplined or regimented. That's gonna have to change whether I like it or not. For those who do know me, well, you understand the challenge before me :) The thoughts and prayers that have been lifted up on my behalf have been working! Thank you so much. I am reminded of the poem "Footprints" and realize that lately there are only one set of prints in the sand.

No comments: